Control Maya by typing commands
Category: Free work
This is a script inspired by ActiveType for 3ds Max. With this script you can quickly execute some python code or other commands. (creating sphere, open hypershade, etc)
Script version (python)
- Maya 8 and up
- You need PySide to be installed. (ships with Maya 2014 by default). If you really need a PyQt version, please mail me.
- Download the rar and unrar the folder in Maya’s script path (C:\Users\Jos\Documents\maya\scripts\ActiveTyping\).
- To run it, execute this code in a python tab of the Maya script editor
from ActiveTyping import activeTyping; activeTyping.show(False)
- To add a hotkey/shortcut go to Window -> Settings/Preferences -> Hotkey Editor and add a new python hotkey in the user section with the code above.
Plugin version (c# .NET)
I also made a c# .NET plugin for Maya. I made this to test out the new .NET API. This version is much faster than the script version! Version for 2016 is coming (send me an email if you already need it).
Maya 2013 extention 2 and up
- Download the plugin file (ActiveTyping.nll.dll) and place it in Maya’s plugin path (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2014\bin\plug-ins\).
- (Re)start Maya and go to the Plug-in Manager (Window -> Settings/Preferences/Plug-in Manager) and check Loaded and Auto load.
- To run it, execute this code in a MEL tab of the Maya’s script editor
- To add a hotkey/shortcut go to Window -> Settings/Preferences -> Hotkey Editor and add a new mel hotkey in the user section with the code above.
completion of Maya commands and custom commands
Add your custom commands